Accessibility Menu

Several common access keys have been implemented - more details



Plevins window

This window in the south aisle is dedicated to the memory of Joseph and Francis Plevins. Following a public appeal for information we now know that Joseph Plevins was a builder, surveyor and architect. He was a significant local employer.

The dedication on the window and a brass plaque on the wall is; ‘to the memory of Joseph Plevins who died July 23 1846 and Frances Plevins his wife who died July 10th 1844’

Joseph was born in Aston in 1784, married his first wife Anne in 1819, but she died on 20 July 1821. Francis was his second wife. They married on 26 January 1822 at St Martin’s in the Bull Ring. Local trade directories and the Churchwardens accounts show that he initially lived in Pritchett Street (in the parish of Aston, from 2006 the Parish of Aston and Nechells) . He moved to Ashted Row before 1825. His death was recorded in Edgbaston possible at his son’s home in Harbourne Road.

The churchwardens accounts of 1822 show that Joseph paid to the churchwardens a Poor Rate of 11/- on his house and £1 – 12’ on his shop (builders yard and works). The latter is one of the highest rates in the ledger. From 1835 his office was at 8 Waterloo Street in Birmingham City Centre. This office was used by his son Thomson until his death in 1897.

At some time the building firm became a partnership with Pashby and was known as Pashby and Plevins. This partnership was dissolved about 10 years after Josephs death. There are records that show the Pashby continued to use the Builders Yard in Pritchett Street until the early years if the 20th century.


This article is closed for further comments.